There’s nothing like coming home from work to a house that smells like heaven from a Crock Pot full of my Hearty Crock Pot Beef Stew with Root Vegetables that has been simmering away all day! This stew is hearty and savory, with just a little sweetness from the sweet potatoes and squash. It’s one of my favorite Crock Pot recipes. I hope you enjoy it!
Ingredients for Hearty Crock Pot Beef Stew with Root Vegetables
2.5# beef chuck roast, cut into bite size cubes
1 large onion, cut into bite size pieces
6 cloves garlic, chopped
4 medium size white potatoes, cut into bite size pieces
4 small sweet potatoes, cut into bite size pieces
4 large carrots, cut into bite size pieces
1 acorn squash, cut into bite size pieces
4 beef bouillon cubes
1 Tbs. dried thyme
1 Tbs. herbs de provence
1/2 Tbs. Montreal Steak seasoning
Salt and pepper to taste
8-10 cups water
1 cup frozen green beans
1 cup frozen corn
How to cook Hearty Crock Pot Beef Stew with Root Vegetables
- Brown your beef chunks on all sides in a skillet with olive oil and season them with the Montreal steak seasoning. You don’t want to cook them all the way through, just browned on all sides.
- Add onion and garlic to the beef, and cook until the onion just starts to soften.
- Put the beef and onion mixture into your crock pot, being sure to get all those yummy bits out of the pan.
- Add the root vegetables to your crock pot, along with the bouillon cubes, thyme, the herbs de provence and salt and pepper to taste.
- Add enough water to the crock pot to just cover the meat and veggies.
- Turn your crock pot to high and let your stew cook until the root vegetables are tender. This took about 8 hours in my crock pot.
- About an hour before serving, add your green beans and corn. Be sure to taste your stew to see if it needs additional salt or pepper.
- Serve hot. The leftovers are even better the second day! 🙂